Friday, February 11, 2011

on dolls

I loved dolls as a girl, and I'm surprised now at the emotional response I have to them. A month or two ago I bought one of the dolls in the hearth at the local thrift shop, just because her vintage plastic molded face and hair spoke sweetness and love to me.

As a five-year-old, my main doll squeeze was named, "I Love You." She was a rubber doll with formerly golden hair. When I Love You's original gold tresses became unsightly, my grandma Mildred made her a (lovely) brown wig to match my own hair. My mother wrote our address on I Love You's belly in indelible ink. I lost her at the Kansas City Airport, but they mailed her back to me. One time a playmate turned I Love You head down and swished her in a mud puddle. I was beside myself. I remember crying and crying one morning on the school bus because I just wanted to go back home to get I Love You; I felt a sudden need to take her to school (I didn't get to go).

I suppose that last memory is one reason I treasure homeschooling. When you learn at home (at least ideally), you don't have to let go of I Love You until you choose to. Your schedule allows you to go and retrieve that love, because it's worth holding on to and you're worth slowing down the world for. This, I can tell, is a whole other post in the making, but not the reason I'm writing about dolls, so I'll come back to the thought another time.

Today Henry and I listened to an episode of the Diane Rehm show that focused on the danger of encouraging little girls to engage in princess play. More specifically, Peggy Orenstein made the point that certain kinds of "princess play" can make it difficult for girls to disentangle their sexuality from our culture's tendency to sexualize them.

Objectification. Consumerism. Addiction. Selfishness. These are some of what I believe to be the real problems behind playing princess. Joel has been reading Andrew Lang and George MacDonald stories to Henry at bedtime off-and-on for a couple years now, and they're ripe with princesses and heroines in the traditional princess sense. But, in my opinion, these female characters are archetypes, just as the warrior, the king, the prince, the beggar, and others are archetypes.

So, so, so often we want to throw the baby out with the bath water instead of just getting rid of the dirty water. I think the society that sexualizes little girls instead of treasuring them, that rewards them for buying off-the-rack princess costumes and attending consumer events in them rather than wearing them for outdoor tea parties that just might lead to hole digging or tree climbing, is one that suffers from multiple addictions and chronic, collective low self-worth. I could go on and on here, but to what end?

Suffice it to say, aside from my homeschooling peeps and close acquaintances and friends, I don't see a whole of mothers and fathers out there encouraging doll play. Baby doll play. I think I don't see as much of that because parents feel ambivalent about teaching girls and boys to pretend with dolls, to mother and father dolls. Better to play at being professionals: fire fighters, iron chefs, police officers, spies, princesses.

From the surface, there seem to be more "jobs" out there for preening, narcissistic types than solid mamas and papas. Oh, pardon my cynicism. I'm really a rather hopeful person.

BUT...don't we glorify the sparkle-clad movie stars and their ilk an awful lot?

My solution is to nurture my little girl by doing a whole lot of things and celebrating her whole being. But I want dolls to be companions and teachers for her if she wants them to be. And, so far, she does.

Ahh. More to say, but it is time for bed.

I really would love to have some dolls with skin of brown, yellow and olive hues. Quite a lot of pink plastic there, wouldn't you agree?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! i can relate to this so well. which may be why i was a little feisty during the bad-baby-doll-punching moment at preschool?

i loved dolls too.

i think i should have it written somewhere that if i am an old woman who has lost the ability to speak or think straight, someone should put a doll in my arms.

Beverly said...

Well, you really ought to write it down that you want a doll put in your arms. We stopped doing that for women and men at the Villa because it was considered a dignity issue. Since disoriented folks couldn't tell us they _didn't_ want a baby doll, we weren't to assume they _did_.

kclblogs said...

Oh, the princess issue. . . it's been tough for me. Makes me feel like a lazy parent. But I do know that my girls have gotten the message from me that I (at least it's something) do not like princess stories that involve the princess needing to be saved by a prince. They know why, too. And they know the princess stories that I prefer, because the princess character is strong and smart and kind. I keep hoping long-term damage is not occurring while I allow myself to be a lazy parent.

Kristin, I'll remember that : )

kclblogs said...

Oh, and one more thing I haven't figured out: How do you prevent your child from loving princesses? Or how do you protect them from it? Or should you? Or how do you convince them not to love princesses? I certainly don't love princesses and never have, but somehow, my children have learned to.

Beverly said...

I don't think you can (ethically) prevent your child from loving princesses, and I don't think you need to (or can) convince them not to. Isn't this mainly a matter of helping girls and boys to keep their options open? I won't forget your "celebrate the whole boy" poster, Kristin.

I'm not planning on keeping Anna from the Disney movies, but I am planning on exposing her to a lot of raw fairy tales...kinda like Bible stories. They're there, they're a little weird, and it's up to your soul and psyche to make sense of them. Sense that will, hopefully, change as you age, because these and all great stories grow with us. Of course, we need grown-up guides to accompany us along the fairy tale and Bible story way.

If we help our girls and boys have basically healthy and joyful lives, I'm banking on things panning out in the end :).

kclblogs said...

We have bad-mouthed Disney enough around here that for awhile my middle child thought the word "Disney" meant anything mean or scary in a movie. The Disney movies and stories are awful. But, I admit that once my kids were able to understand my opinion about them, then we let them watch some of them. They choose not to watch some because they can tell they will be too nasty.

When we go to the library, my oldest goes straight to the "Fairy Tales and Folklore" section and glues herself there. She has actually found some beautiful renditions of traditional "princess" stories from other cultures. Even not from our culture, there are many versions other than Disney that are so much more pleasant. For example, I love the Jan Brett version of Beauty and the Beast.

Beverly said...

Katie, thanks for the heads-up about Disney movies. I was thinking Cinderella and Snow White only, but I haven't watched them in a long, long time. Sounds like there's much out there in the way of books that's better than watching movies anyhow!