Sunday, October 12, 2008

I sewed an apron

Despite the fact that the photos are fuzzy and that I think the first picture makes me look like I have no teeth, I want to share with you the apron I made. The thrift-shop fabric had been in the middle of a pile in my bedroom until I cleaned out Joel's closet and made room for my sewing things. I had dreams of making an apron of this cloth, but it had been so long since I had sewn anything that I doubted this idea would ever come to fruition. It did, though. A pattern of my own devising. I even made a buttonhole, with Joel's help. I was amazed that I could make crude gathers under the bib. Despite thinking I never paid attention, I remember a thing or two from my mother's years of sewing for us!
The shell button is from my maternal grandma's collection. The tie in the back is the same red gauzy fabric that I used for the neck strap. I loved making this apron. It was so satisfying to come up with a plan for it and carry that plan out. Can't wait to sew some more things for the sheer fun of it. The added benefit of the apron is that I have needed it. Since I'm borrowing so many maternity clothes (mostly from my dear sister-in-law), I want to take good care of them and that means none of my customary kitchen grease spots. Thank you to my mother and sister for sharing a wonderful new button-hole-ready Singer with me. What a gift!

2 comments:

Libby said...

Oh, wow, Beverly! A few days ago you told me you wanted to make an apron and there it is. Wow. Beautiful. I'm glad the machine worked so well!

Jannie Funster said...

You look great in it too! Good job. How's Baby doing??