Wednesday, September 10, 2008

pregnant morning

I awoke early, a little before six, to a hungry stomach. The morning light was gray and all was quiet--five-year-old sleeping with stuffed animal friends, husband deep in sleep. I filled my bowl with (mostly) locally grown and prepared food--chopped apple, yogurt, granola and ate in gratitude. What a pleasure to tend my body's needs as influenced by the growing baby inside me.

I am thankful that today we can pay our health insurance premium, just as we knew we must do but didn't know exactly how we would do. I am thankful for the myriad things that have been shared with our family of late: cider, apples, applesauce, yogurt, a work of art, time, new insights, maternity clothes, listening space.

I am thankful for Joel--not only his wonderful being, but his practical skills, his knowledge gained through years of experience, his ability to sit with problems, think them through and then repair what needs repairing. These gifts are vital to our family, literally turning work to bread (and health insurance).

I am thankful for four grandparents for Henry, dear computer customers, meaningful work at home and in my place of ministry, September weather in the northern hemisphere and the mystery of God at work in the Universe. Also thankful to have read this interview this morning and for my dad, whose thoughts on basketball can be read here.

2 comments:

Lisa Anne said...

Wow! Thanks for that link to the Wendell Berry article, what a great way to start my Sunday morning. I love Wendell Berry, what a real person. I would have loved to be the one to sit on his porch and to interview him.

Beverly said...

Ah, Lisa Anne--
You should contact Wendell Berry and ask to sit on his porch (or in his living room as my friend Angela did). I understand his health was poor a year or so ago, so I don't know how well he is now, but a friend of mine simply made contact with him, said she was driving through and asked if they could visit. That was probably fifteen years ago. He also travels some. He comes out to the Land Institute in Salina, KS, from time to time. On Saturday a friend just told me how his wife taught WB's granddaughter how to crochet at a Land Institute gathering...