Monday, June 2, 2008

crunchy goodness

I baked granola yesterday, the way my mama made it when my sisters and I were little. Here it is, adapted from Mother's in the Kitchen, published when I was a year old. A little crunchy for some and (if you add the extra water) chunky, but I love it. I eat it with cut-up fresh (or dried) fruit and Sara's homemade yogurt.

5 c. oats
3 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. white flour
1 c. oat bran
1 c. soy flour (or what ever you like--more oats, wheat germ, flax seed meal...)
2 c. nuts (recipe calls for 1 c. coconut and 1 c. nuts, but I prefer lots of nuts)
1 T. salt
1 c. oil (one of my sisters adds only 1/2 c. and says it turns out well)
1 c. honey, brown sugar, dark maple syrup, etc.
1/2 c. water (I usually use about 1 c.)
cinnamon, dried fruit (if you like--I never add these)

Mix dry ingredients, then add wet. Use hands to mix. More water can be added to make bigger chunks. Put into 2 cookie sheets and bake @250-300 F, turning every 20 minutes for even browning. Should bake about 1 1/2 hrs or until brown and crisp.

No comments: