Friday, May 23, 2008

walk in the world for me

When I am gone, walk in the world for me. This sentence arrested my attention as I listened to Cheryl preach a sermon at the memorial service Henry and I attended this evening. We have been doing a lot of walking and biking and, now that spring is really, really here, our feet have been getting dirty. This afternoon there were three foot baths in our driveway, as those who were wading in the filthy creek needed cleaner feet to enter the house.

Walk in the world for me
. We watched Star Wars (episode IV) with Henry tonight, because his dear friend just saw it and there's a sibling effect in play: the younger gets to see it before the older (chronologically) because, otherwise, Joel and I will never hear the end of it (and we were excited to watch it with him). It was wonderful to see the movie again. So violent (not wonderful), so laden with memories... how many times have I seen it and not caught many of the details that Henry so readily picked up on? The talk about "the force" always moves me, as do Obi Wan's words of wisdom to Luke. Obi Wan goes away, but he commissions Luke (in effect) to walk in the world for him. Dear Ida is gone from this world but, in her funeral, she told her friends to walk in it for her.

I am glad to be walking in the world for so many people, including walking for Jesus in my better moments.

No comments: