Sunday, February 3, 2008

this child

We just finished reading bedtime stories to this child. Actually, Joel read two chapters of Paddington while Henry gazed at my face and challenged my far-sighted eyes. He likes to fall asleep this way, gazing. When I allow it to happen, my heart opens right up to him and I am filled with holy awe. Other times I'm aggravated that he is touching my face, getting tickly hair in my way when I myself am trying to drift off into sleep. I post this photo because it makes me think of happy summer times, and also because it gets at the paradoxes I feel loving this child. I enjoy his individuality, spirit and tenderness and I struggle with knowing how to help him reign it all in a little bit, when necessary. Ah, I could say more, but I've already revised this post twice. Henry did love this summer day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yes, yes, yes.

i love this child too.

and mostly i love how you love this child.



so grateful for a peek into your spirit and life....thank you!

Libby said...

thanks so much for the address. i intended to ask you for it when we spoke on Sunday but forgot. my goodness. what to say? i don't know. i just keep reading it over and over. so, so beautiful and real and honest. And how can the real and honest be so beautiful? i don't know. it just is sometimes. thanks for the reminder. see you this evening.