Monday, November 11, 2013

How we learn

If this blog is about nothing else, it may be about me discovering what I think about how learning happens, and what happens when people learn, and why learning matters, and why learning about oneself (self-awareness) is imperative. 

Sheesh!  The theme of my forties is, "Integrate, integrate, integrate."  That's good stuff.  And I am wanting to challenge myself more...in little baby-step ways.  Sometimes working through the hard stuff of life (conflict, trauma, entrenched patterns in myself) is so overwhelming...I don't know what I need or how to care for myself in the moment well enough to be the person I want to be.  I am blessed to be loved by many people who see me through those moments of dis-integration, or who are happy enough to resume the conversation when I've found my calm again.

Anyway, here's a lovely thought on education from my brother-in-law, who rocks.  It says what I haven't known how to say.

“The purpose of education is to help us clarify to ourselves the ideas we think with; education should make us aware of our convictions and assumptions so that the meaning of our experience becomes less muddy. We don’t think ideas, we think through ideas. Concepts are the tools we use to sort, define and comprehend the meaning of events.”  

Robert Inchausti – “Subversive Orthodoxy”

No comments: