Wednesday, November 19, 2008

sights to see

I've been missing my garden zinnias and all the color they brought to the table. Here are some berries scavenged from a burning bush. Up close they remind me so much of bittersweet, which I'll have to plant some day. On the way home from our walk I found dozens of juniper berries pooled in the cracks of the sidewalk. I took some inside to fill an acorn cup and the hole in a rock Henry found.

One of my home's places of refuge...under the spider plant that was out on the porch all summer.On Saturday Henry and I went to the bookshop to enjoy their Second Saturday for Kids. He could have spent the entire morning working the cold, smooth clay that Hanna set out on the concrete floor. He made a couple pinch pots, a dam (on the left) and some other things. Joel's parents gave us the Christmas cactus when Henry was born and we have enjoyed watching it flower most years...sometimes more than once. This year Henry's paid special attention to the blossoms opening.

4 comments:

kclblogs said...

thanks for the beauty shots!

Lizz said...

Christmas Cactus delight.

I have to say, you, of anyone else, has an eye for what lies in the cracks of the sidewalk and makes room for it all (literal and figurative). Truly this is a gift!

Lisa Anne said...

Again beautiful photos, I must say those acorns caps are amazing I have never seen them so big or so frizzy (?). What amazing treasures of nature.

Beverly said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bur_oak
Looking at this site makes me think those large acorn caps are burr oak caps. They like the prairies of Kansas and you can read more about where they are found. A friend who works with native plant conservation considers them his favorite tree. There is one nearby that is surely over 200 years old--a very special sight to behold on the prairie. A science teacher I know would take his students there to see how many of them it took to span the girth of the tree.