Saturday, May 3, 2008

My best, cheap meal

On this sunlit Saturday evening we enjoyed a lovely, nourishing supper that was cheap, cheap, cheap and made with (mostly) real food Honey-baked chicken from More-with-Less (p. 180) made with on-sale and (ostensibly) free - from - antibiotics - that - affect - humans boneless, skinless chicken thighs and homemade raw milk butter; Kroger frozen mixed vegetables and rice. A whole meal, slow cooked (well, the chicken at least), serving three people (with leftovers) for five dollars--max. I think we all left the table with thankful hearts.

Later I baked a chocolate sheet cake made with a chunk of (probably) growth - hormone - laced Wisconsin butter, homemade raw buttermilk, powdered sugar and other good stuff. If I'd have added dinner rolls and served the sheet cake for dessert it would have made a fine company meal. I love spending time in my little laboratory. Especially when the counters are clean and the dishwasher and sink are empty.

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I know just what you mean!