Sunday, March 30, 2008

to be rich in life

What an inspiring interview I just listened to while doing the dishes for the second time today, after having made homemade hamburger buns (and burgers), onion rings and french fries and served them along with fresh pineapple and fancy organic peas...at eight p.m. How I identify with many of the things these women are saying. Makes me think of this quotation, which I think my friend Vanessa introduced me to.
“To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury, and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable, and wealthy, not, rich; to listen to stars and birds, babes and sages, with open heart; to study hard; to think quietly, act frankly, talk gently, await occasions, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden and unconscious, grow up through the common - this is my symphony."
William Henry Channing's Symphony: some background, and its appearance in an Arthur Brisbane editorial - from the 1906 collection, "Editorials From The Hearst Newspapers"


Yes!

No comments: