Tuesday, June 2, 2009

remember, remember

As Anna cries to request my help in getting her into her morning nap groove, I'm not always aware she's making the request. I get annoyed. I look at the piles of dishes and laundry, at the piles of bills and papers to file, at Henry, who needs some attention, too, at my disheveled image in the mirror and think, "Baby, be quiet! Let me put you down."

What she needs is just the opposite. Today I carried her in a front hold, feet crossed lotus-style (Henry liked that, too). She calmed right down as I proceeded with my morning chores, wanting only to be taken along. Before I knew it she was asleep. What a privilege to carry a baby. A year ago I had just learned that I might become the mother of a second living child. Wow.

Remember, remember
the sacredness of things
Running streams and dwellings
The young within the nest
A hearth for sacred fire
The holy flame of fire

This Pawnee blessing comes from a book by Andrew Harvey (love him) and is excerpted here.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Lovely. Isn't it nice to acknowledge those gentle reminders when we get cranky (and we all do) to be in the present moment with our children and try to be aware of what they are needing. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Anonymous said...

after a horrific dream last night of losing on eof my children, i need to remember, remember too.

thank you

Anonymous said...

What a heart felt post, this brings back many sweet memories of wearing my children. I appreciate the mindfulness that you are talking about with little ones!
Your baby is absolutely beautiful!